Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, July 25, 2009

no leniency

i'm a chronic bar failure.  don't even be asking me how many times i've failed.  seriously.
 
i've spent lots of money on bar prep shit.
 
i've had my life and future career goals put on hold, if not completely eradicated.
 
i also know the rules about how to apply to even take the exam and make sure that all my "i"s and "t"s are properly dotted or crossed, respectively, because i know that the slightest deviation will not be beneficial to me -- in fact, would be deleterious.  i know that the calbar association is very serious about their rules and to the close adherence thereof and that if i miss a deadline or fail to submit something properly, then i'm screwed.
 
and i know from experience.  because i have hit those snafus and didn't realize the missteps -- until it was too late to rectify them.
 
but did i ever complain?  did i beg or plead for mercy?
 
sure, i would call in my questions and concerns to a polite spokesperson for the calbar association.  but when i was told that there was nothing that could be done, i accepted that.  and i agreed to bide my time and wait until the next go-'round.
 
this is why i'm unsympathetic to the plight of this person:
 
 
am i supposed to cry tears of sympathy for her, if only because she is a paralyzed person?
 
call me a fucking cold-hearted bitch.  but . . . while i sympathize with her for her physical state, i do not sympathize with the lack of following the rules.  sure, it makes a difference if the calbar association actually reassured her she was good to go -- and then rescinded that comment.  that's just messed up and fucked up.  but if this is something that she could have done a better job of being vigilant about, then no, i'm sorry.  no sympathy.  no tears from me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kinda agree with you. When I saw that story on the news last night, at first I was like "WTF? That's BS!). Then I remembered how we got our paperwork--ticket with admission #, etc. well in advance of the exam. So she would have known long ago that it was a no-go. And you know if it was the exact same situation except she wasn't paralyzed there would be no news story. And I remember hearing in BarBri how even if the freeway on your way to the exam exploded, etc. you still would not be excused for being late or absent. And then there is that story how someone had a heart attack and the students who helped him didn't get any extra time to finish the exam.

WC law mom said...

I'm totally NOT feeling sorry for her. When I missed the sign up, they had no leeway for me. You sign up in time or you wait until next time. Period. Should be the same for all- and it is. I get tired of so many people complaining they don't get it better than others. When it comes to the bar exam- ya just don't. It sucks all around, including the set-in-stone deadlines.

Anonymous said...

it was good public relations to give the paralyzed law student a break by allowing her to take the exam even though she did not register in time. I've heard various stories about why she missed the deadline, but really, her law career would still be there if she took the exam in February 2010 instead of in July 2009. In fact, that would've given her plenty of time to register for the exam. On the other hand, would any of us want to trade places and take a "freebie" late registration into the bar exam in exchange for being paralyzed for life? (I doubt it)